1. A former friend of mine told me in her culture, it is considered rude to give leftovers to friends, that if you want to share with your food, it means more to offer them your plate before you dig in. I don’t always remember to do this, but when I share coffee or tea, I always pour into my friends cups first and then my own.
2. The last album I listened to from beginning to end was Halsey’s If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power. The one before that was Lil Nas X’s MONTERO. So excited to see what my Spotify Wrapped looks like this year.
3. The first story I ever wrote was in sixth grade, called The Royal Spies. Think of it as a mashup of Spy Kids and Robin Hood. All four main characters were siblings and were based off of me, my sister, and two of our cousins. I so wish I still had it.
4. My top comfort shows are Murder, She Wrote Good Omens, and What We Do In the Shadow. My top comfort movies are Hot Fuzz, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and The Emperor’s New Groove.
5. I drink my coffee with honey because one of my favorite former co-workers/friend drank his coffee that way and said it was the best. He was not wrong. Pro-tip: if you get local honey, drinking your morning coffee or tea with a spoonful of honey keeps your allergies more manageable.
6. My freshman year of high school debate class, our teacher told me that I had a wonderful voice for radio and ever since then have dreamed of having a radio show or podcast. One day, I hope.
7. Nicknames I have had in the past with no context – Ash, Little Beth, Mac, Squared, Smash, Smashley, Shley, Red.
8. One year (can’t remember which), I read over 150 books. The year after I had to sell all of my books in order to afford rent.
9. My top three tropes are found family, enemies to lovers, and the grumpy one falls in love with the sunshine one.
10. My most memorable birthday was when my auntie recreated the menu from Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament. I can’t remember what age I was, but she had the large table set up banquet style and dimmed the lights so we could have candles, and found a festive soundtrack to go with it.
11. I went to college for a General Social Studies degree with a focus in Anthropology and Psychology, transferred to an English degree a year later, and then dropped out of a college and year and half later. Most days I do regret not having a degree to show for my $45K student debt.
12. “The Hound of the Baskervilles” was the first Sherlock Holmes story I read in fourth grade. Thus began my love of Sherlock Holmes and I checked out the massive collection from my school over and over. I will watch any movie adaptation of that story. I’ve seen many of them.
13. One day I will buy an aloe vera plant. My great grandma used to have them and when I scraped my knee or got sunburned, she would take a leaf off and apply the gel. No cold lotion from the fridge! Although, yes, that is nice too.
14. Some of my favorite fairy tales as a kid that still stick with me are the Twelve Dancing Princesses, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Swan Princess, The Six Swans/The Wild Swans, Alice in Wonderland, Rapunzel, the Princess and the Pea, The Little Mermaid, and Little Red Riding Hood.
15. I once got very drunk at a Ren faire and flirted (or rather tried to, my flirt game when drunk, not good) with a performer named Jacque the Whipper. Apparently he has a TikTok!
16. If it has the Moon or stars on it, there is a 99% chance I will buy it. If it has the Moon AND stars on it, I will cry thinking about Wolfstar and then buy it.
17. I did theater in high school. My favorites musicals we did were CATS and Sweeney Todd. There are times that I wish I would have continued theater but I truly think it was the (majority of the) people I was with for four years that I loved doing theater with.
18. One day I would like to own a coffee shop/book shop. But also drive a traveling library. But also live in a lighthouse. But also run a B&B in Ireland. But also live in a small seaside town that is really queer learn how to ride a bike.
19. I am moderately terrified of the deep ocean. Specifically large things with tentacles. But growing up I wanted to be a pirate and read books about mermaids and selkies too. My fear and awe of the ocean is so contradictory and I hate it.
20. More often than not, my social media bios always say Queer. That is because I shift and grow so much in my sexuality and gender and it’s so much easier to say queer. I do repost and share relatable content to all the identities I experience (asexual, bisexual, pansexual, demisexual, trans, nonbinary, genderfluid, and even more). I am sure that is confusing for people, but at this point in my life, I do not care.
21. Vampires will never go out of style. I don’t care what anyone says.
22. I started collecting enamel pins this year and am not sure which way I want to display them! I don’t have a cool jacket or one of those fun transparent panel purses. I’ll figure it out.
23. Sometimes I read old journals and cringe so hard, but then remind myself that I have grown since then. One day I will do a bonfire and toss all my old journals in. Some things just should never be found.
24. One of my favorite therapists was a laughter therapist. It’s a real thing. He was very real and my absolute favorite. Do I remember his name? No. But I remember my homework was to stop watching crime dramas and watch Parks & Rec. I needed to laugh more. We used to open our sessions with silly baby YouTube videos. Also, he appreciated my dark humor and self awareness more than any other therapist.
25. There are days that I wish I was a gamer. Because I love storylines in games. I used to watch my ex-husband play, I used to watch my cousin play, I used to watch so many of my friends play, because the music, the dialogue, the storylines. Ugh. So good. But I don’t have the skills to do so.
26. If I were to talk to my 21 year old self, I would want to shake her. Not reading romance because it’s not realistic is a not cute, being one of the guys is not all that great, HI HELLO YOU ARE VERY QUEER.
27. My first public blog (that I remember) was a comparative religion blog that I wrote as a way to keep up with my classwork my freshman year of college.
28. I only have one tattoo, which surprises most people because when you get one, they are addicting and most people tend to get more. It’s a three heart leave clover that I got with my mom and my sister. I do want about a dozen more tattoos though. Just need the right artist and money.
29. Having lived in Michigan for almost two years, a place with real distinct seasons, I’m not sure I can ever live anywhere without real seasons. Having the external seasons mimic my internal clock is a special kind of magic.
30. No matter how thick my socks are, my toes are always cold.
31. Birthdays are personal new years. I am excited to see what this new year brings.